Saturday, February 6, 2010

Starting Out


So why this blog? To tell my story and summarize what I've learned and am learning in becoming an artist.

For the past year, I have been learning to oil paint. I've never painted before, well a few paint by numbers when I was a kid and many many walls in my homes over the years. So I set out and took a community class in oil painting. It got me started, but that was about it.

There is so much information on the web about painting, most of it is either useless, highly opinionate or full of hype trying to sell you the best "how to" video, book, or art class. I know, I bought a lot of them. There is also a lot of good information, but how is a beginner going to sort it all out?

So here is what I make out of all of the "noise" on the web. I'll list in upcoming post, the books and other sources I have found useful. I'll also summarize the lessons I taken away from them so you can decide on whether you think they are worth buying.

Here is my latest painting.

Please feel free to comment and add value to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment